On July 14, 1921, the founders of Temple Israel, met at the YMHA and heeded the call of a great many Jews in this city to establish a modem synagogue “which would comply with the thoughts of the American Jew and which would be conducted in accordance with the best traditions of Judaism” and thus Temple Israel began.
On September 11, 1927, the dedication of our present synagogue took place. In the words of Rabbi Max Arzt, “the dedication of this structure marks the consummation of three years of zealous activity and of untold sacrifice on the part of Temple Israel’s membership. Fascinatingly beautiful in every detail, the edifice is a fitting expression of our love and reverence for the faith of our fathers. The spirit that has actuated us all, was born of the determination to make the Synagogue function again in our lives as a center for Jewish thought and learning, for religious devotion, and for wholesome social life. We were all fired by the conviction that the Synagogue, which has guarded and nurtured the soul of Israel in all the lands of the dispersion, is indispensable to the further perpetuation of our priceless heritage in this, our blessed country.
Let us honor our past, embrace our future, and celebrate, together.